Tuesday, 19 April 2016

Working With Brands & Being Let Down

Hello beauties!

I hope you're all doing okay! I feel like I've been severely bad at blogging this month due to 2 reasons:

1. I am now working 2 jobs - hellooooo sleepiness!
2. I have had writers block SO bad

But hey, I'm here now aren't I so let's get onto what I came here to talk about.

If you are viewing this post as a fellow blogger you will completely understand that working with brands is not as simple as you think when you first begin. Sometimes we get conned, sometimes we get let down and sometimes brands just don't take small bloggers too seriously.

I try to keep this blog as positive as possible but today I needed to vent to you about a little experience I had recently whilst being in touch with a brand. I ummm'd and ahhh'd about doing this post for so long because I wasn't sure if it would put other companies off of working with me in the future but if you know me or you regularly read my blog you will know that I am always 100% honest in my posts and although it may put some brands off - I'm not about to stop now.

So, let's start from the very beginning.

Back when I started my blog I done a post about Gerard Cosmetics lipsticks. I had purchased them out of curiosity and ended up loving them so much that I would constantly talk about them on my social media's. Not only had I blogged about them but I'm pretty sure I had also mentioned them on my make up tutorials on YouTube, so it was fair to say I was a fan of their products.

A couple of weeks ago I was feeling super brave and decided to send them a little message on instagram to see if they where interested in working on a blog post with me and to my surprise I got a response after a few hours asking me to email them to talk about further details. As you can imagine I was over the moon so I sent an email over straight away. I included my blog link, a link to the post I had done about them before and also little screenshots of times I had mentioned them on my social media to show that I was a genuine lover of their products. So, over the next few days I repeatedly checked my email to see if I had received a response and after the second week of waiting I decided to message them again on instagram to see if they could help me out - to which I also recieved no response.

At this point I'm slightly annoyed but I definantly wasn't about to give up that easily.

I decided to then send them over a tweet asking if they knew why I hadn't had a reply. After a short wait I received a response asking me to send over an email to a completely different email address the instagram account had given me beforehand.

Annoying - yes. But I still decided to go ahead and send over another email.

2 weeks later and still no response.

I'm kind of losing my patience at this point so I decided to reach out to their twitter again as they seemed to be the only ones who where willing to help. I told them again that I hadn't recieved a response to which they asked me to send them my email and they would have someone contact me. Within 2 minutes of sending over my email I received an email asking what was wrong with my order... eh?... order?.... Am I missing something here?

I replied explaining the situation and after a little while I received a response asking me to send another email to another different email address and at this point writing the same email over and over had become a little bit of a p*ss take. I figured I would try one more time as surely they couldn't ignore me AGAIN.... right?...... WRONG. Again, no response.

I wait a few weeks and decided that I would go to their website and find a customer service email. I send an email of around 4 paragraphs explaining the situation and then at the end stated that I no longer wanted to work with them and that I was genuinely upset by the lack of care from a brand that I actually loved.

I got a response saying that they where sorry but they had been switching around positions over the last 2 weeks (baring in mind I had been trying to get a response from them for around a month or two at this point) and that I can fill out a form and send ANOTHER email to ANOTHER email address and to end the email she says 'I hope it goes through this time!'. So basically, she's not even sure that the email she wanted me to send out was actually going to get a reply.

As a person who works in retail and has done for almost 4 years I completely fail to understand how so many emails have not been read or replied too and I was definantly not wasting my time writing another email that will possibly get no response too.

I have never been so disappointed by a brand I genuinely liked before and I definantly will no longer be talking about or purchasing their products.

I would really like to know if you have ever experienced anything like this if you are a blogger?

Sorry for having a huge rant but I definantly don't want anyone else to go through the same thing and I also wanted to show others that working with brands can sometimes be a difficult and disappointing process.

I hope you all have a lovely week and I will be returning with another post very soon!

Thank you for reading,

Katie Ellen. xxxxx

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I'm so sorry you've had to go through that with a brand & company but it's these kind of posts that help bloggers realise and don't get trapped in these kind of situations - so I'm glad you wrote this!

    I have yet to work with a brand/company as I am still trying to find my feet and the direction I want my blog to go in. I've had a few offers although haven't took them up but always carefully scan through and do as much research as possible.

    It's great you had the confidence to directly contact a company you want to work with! :)

    Elisha x
    Elisharoserowley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! :-) yeah, I'm kind of glad it happened as its opened my eyes so much and taught me a lesson to not have such high hopes from brands that I like!

    You will get there eventually once you find your feet! Just always be careful as not everything is as it seems sometimes!

    Thank you again for your reply, lovely!

    Hope you have a great day!

    Katie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you have shared your experience! I am sure they get lots of emails but the fact that you reached out via so many social media avenues you would think they would have done more to look after you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, exactly! And the fact 4 emails seemed to have gone missing was just insane! Thanks lovely xx

      Delete

© Katie Ellen. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig