Saturday, 5 March 2016

Why I Dropped Out Of University

Hi Guys!

I done a little twitter poll to see if you lovely lot would like me to blog about gaining weight or why I dropped out of University and a lot of you wanted to see the Uni option! But don't worry if you chose the other I will still be doing that for my next post!

So, where to begin.

Firstly, for those of you who suffer from anxiety you will know that being thrown into a very social environment is super daunting. I went from being in a college class of around 10 or less people to a class of 70+ and most of these people already knew each other. I remember leaving early on the first day because I was so overwhelmed that I felt like I was going to vomit. 

I know now that at that point I should of decided to call it quits but I wanted to try to stick it out. I began making friends but still couldn't shake the feeling that I felt extremely out of place. I began having so much anxiety going to University that sometimes I would get off of the bus half way there and come back home. I had been dealing with severe depression long before going to uni but it seemed to trigger more bad thoughts inside of my head. I thought that if I left I would let down my family, I would be a failure and I would never be able to get anywhere in life.

I wrote to my personal tutor and the leader of the course about my mental health and I didn't feel like I was supported. Although they apologised for what I was dealing with they told me that if I didn't begin attending University more that I would be kicked off the course. It was a huge deal for me to open up to them the way that I did and I wasn't offered any help from a campus councillor or anything which sort of made me feel like they already thought I was lost cause.

I now know that isn't true.

Eventually I stopped attending. I figured that I wanted to get leaving university over with as soon as possible. I was not in the right state of mind to put myself underneath the pressure of assignments and also control my mental health.

So, what has happened since leaving Uni?

Well, first of all I want you to know that if you are thinking of leaving University that it DOES NOT make you a failure. You still have every chance to succeed in life no matter what degree you do or don't have.

Since leaving my mental health has eased a lot. I feel better within myself and I finally feel like I am exactly where I am supposed to be. I have also just gained a job at a solicitors and I feel like leaving University was the smartest thing I have ever done.

I would like to add that this is just my experience. There are so many people who love University and so many that hate it, too. I am no way trying to put anyone off of going to University.

I would love to hear your views on University. If you're there are you enjoying it and if not, why? Or why you too decided that University wasn't for you.

Thank you so much for reading,

Katie Ellen. xxx


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Katie Ellen. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig